eclectic: deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources
I am Emily. I’ll primarily be blogging poetry and prose, but anything that strikes my fancy is fair game, hence my site’s name.
Warning. All posts are subject to change whenever inspiration strikes, so if you think that a piece has changed since the last time you read it you’re probably right.
I love: reading books, watching movies and TV shows on DVD; listening to music on the radio or CDs; cooking, crafting, and writing fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. I am the person of a cat. I live in the beautiful Finger Lakes Region of New York State.
My two favorite books are:
- The Lord of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
My favorite TV series are:
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer (1996-2003)
- Angel (1999-2004)
My favorite movies are:
- The Indiana Jones Quadrilogy (Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom (1984), Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade (1989), and Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008))
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Two Towers (2002), and the Return of the King (2003))
- Jack Ryan Series (The Hunt for Red October (1990), Patriot Games (1992), and The Sum of All Fears (2002))
My taste in music runs the gamut from Abba to Zamfir, but my favorite pieces are:
- “Demons” by Imagine Dragon
- “Toccata and Fugue in D Minor” by J. S. Bach
- Carmina Burana by Carl Orff
I am a good home cook and am currently learning to prepare Asian and Indian dishes.
I do various kinds of needlework (crewel, floss, and silk ribbon embroidery; hand and machine quilting; canvas work, cross stitch, and beadwork (necklaces, bracelets, and earrings).
My cat’s name is Thomas C.(at) Selleck. He is named in honor of the actor. Selleck (the cat) has blue eyes, a mustache, an attitude, and is very mouthy. He is a grey-and-white half-Siamese who has the lanky body and the color-points. Sadly, he passed away August 2, 2018. He was seventeen years old.
Thanks for joining me!
Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter. — Izaak Walton